Monday, September 19, 2011

Don't Worry.. Be Happy!

So today is just pretty horrible! It's a Monday first of all, I mean.. does it get much worse??, but its also been ten years today since I heard my brothers laugh. And yes I know, I know, a morbid and sad post is not anything that you want to read from me, and I'll do my totally depressing one and then delete to save you all the agony of listening to my whining, but it is just kind of surreal that it has been ten years. Although some times is seems much longer, other times is seems like it was just yesterday.

I remember the first year that the 9-19 date rolled around. I was in Decatur with Pam and Chad, he was doing some kind of training out there and we had went to Cracker Barrell to eat. I didn't realize I was dealing so badly, but I guess it was showing and I was walking around the little store part of Cracker Barrell by myself when a guy come up to me and said "Smile! Things surely can't be that bad.." I remember putting whatever was in my hand down and turning back to look at him trying to smile and he was gone. It was really weird at the time, but I've always thought about that when this day rolls around. I mean of course things could be so much worse and since my brother was not one to be sad or anything of that sort I figure the best way to remember him is just to be happy! Thankfully although I'm missing him so bad my body is actually aching today I also have so many good and happy memories that I'm sure I can flood my brain with them and take away any sadness. So.. my memory lane...

That mischievous little half grin from one side of his mouth showing those adorable dimples when you knew he was up to no good!

That stupid rebel flag hat with the fish hook on the front!

Those bear hugs.. like the kind that made you want to hit him because he paralyzed your arms and dug his arms into your back bone all at the same time!

The bursting into song and dance at any time and any place! And I literally mean.. ANY PLACE!!! I still remember him spurting out Steve Miller Band on the subway in New York and then taking requests and one fabulous Yankee on his way to work on Monday morning and not quite so amused by Joey's jolliness that early in the morning (little did he know he just got on the today show and was on a high) requested that he "Shut Up!" :)

Being frost bit because my brother.. in February... decides to drive all the way to Murfreesboro to Aunt Pam's with the tee tops down on his camaro. Since the fabulous Matthew Lindeman made the trip with us, I was of course in the back seat freezing to death since all the wind was hitting me and not them. I showed up at Aunt Pam's with actual icicles in my hair!!!! Literally.. no exaggeration!!!! Purple face and icicles in my hair!!!

Getting the daily calls on his way home from work of what he wanted to eat so that I could get started on it! The little brat!

Meat lovers thin crust pizza from Pizza Hut... I know this is a really stupid one, but he loved them and its really crazy the things you think of when you think of someone! He always said it was fabulous because it was basically meat, cheese and sauce on a cracker!!!

Okay.. so since it is Monday I do need to get to work and not reminisce so much!
But here's to you Joey.. I miss you bunches and as Rae and Dar Dar would say.. I love you so big!

4 comments:

  1. Ok...your "not sad" post still touched me so much today! I can not believe it has been 10 years. He was a sweetheart & those dimples were great! I hope this dreary Monday shines a little bit on the brighter side for you all today..... the memories you just shared are the best kind to have....the ones that you get the full meaning of even if no one else does :) I love you girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Jenn! It touched me also! But like Drea said those are the best kind of memories! Hope your day turns out to be a great one! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't remember a lot with my very busy kid filled life but for some reason I remember this day every year. He was one of the truly nicest people I have ever met! When I think of him the quote "The Good Die Young" is so true!! He will always be remembered by those adorable dimples and Garth Brooks songs. We Love Yall Bunches!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am reading this at work and feel tears fill my eyes. I can still hear his laugh and see that gorgeous smile!! I can still see him jumping up and kicking his feet together in the mall parking lot.. I remember us all watching a movie and then getting into a pillow fight!! lol Everytime I hear the "The Dance" I think of Joey sometimes I cry and then sometimes I smile because your right he would have done something to make you turn that frown upside down!! You couldn't help it but you had to smile around Joey! I will have to find the pictures of the pillow fight! lol

    ReplyDelete